What Is It?
Wool carpet is made from the hair of sheep. Although it tends to be more expensive than other carpet styles wool maintains a number of benefits, namely its insulating and moisture wicking qualities. A great option in consideration of Shallotte’s milder winters and warmer summers, wool is a particularly good choice for those who are seeking to create an environmentally friendly home.
Benefits of Wool Carpet
- Sheep hair is a sustainable resource and a biodegradable material. Those with environmental concerns can sleep easy knowing that their wool carpet won’t sit in a landfill for years like other synthetic types.
- You may be familiar with wool in the context of clothing. It’s a popular material for cold weather gear because it provides insulation and resists moisture. In the same way that a wool jacket wicks away moisture your carpet will as well, making for a durable floor free of mold.
- Wool is made of opaque fibers, which hide dirt better than the clear fibers that make up synthetic carpets.
Downsides of Wool Carpet
- Although it hides dirt well wool is not stain resistant. Wool absorbs and releases moisture with efficiency, one of the reasons it wicks away moisture so well, but this means when stained by wine or other liquids it is difficult to remove.
- Wool is less affordable than other carpet types. Families with small children may want to avoid it because of its susceptibility to liquid spills.
- Similar to the way wool clothing products shed, this carpet does as well. This is one factor homeowners should keep in mind.
We’d love to discuss different carpet options with you, and will happily help you find the variety that best fits your needs and lifestyle. Feel free to call Floor Coverings International Shallotte for a free consultation. We proudly serve the Shallotte, Ocean Isle Beach & Southport NC areas, and can’t wait to help you find the perfect floors you’ve been waiting for.
Photo © Aaron Amat
You might also be interested in: