Seagrass carpet is a great option for eco-conscious owners in Southport on the hunt for green carpet flooring. Like other natural fiber carpets, seagrass carpeting comes with a host of benefits that make it a popular choice for homes and business alike. The experts at Floor Coverings International Shallotte have compiled some useful information to help you decide if seagrass carpeting is the right choice for your next project. Keep reading to learn more!
About Seagrass Carpet
Seagrass carpet is created from the fibers of various sedges and rushes grown around the Asia-Pacific region. Paddies are flooded with seawater and the resulting plant growth is harvested and turned into a durable yarn for weaving. These plants have a dense, rapid growth pattern and the fiber is biodegradable, making seagrass carpet an extremely sustainable flooring option.
Seagrass Carpet Benefits
- It is very durable and holds up to heavy foot traffic and abrasive materials like dirt.
- It is naturally stain-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Seagrass carpet is hypoallergenic. Furthermore, unlike synthetic carpet options, it doesn’t produce any off-gassing.
- It can be installed as an area rug or as wall-to-wall carpeting.
Seagrass Carpet Precautions
- Seagrass carpet has a smooth texture that can be slippery underfoot — it is not recommended for stairs.
- Seagrass fiber absorbs or releases moisture in relation to its immediate environment. This helps the carpet maintain itself by preventing fibers from becoming brittle in dry environments or waterlogged in humid conditions. However, this regulatory mechanism depends on good air circulation which makes seagrass carpet less suited to enclosed areas like bathrooms.
- Seagrass carpet has a more limited color palate since it is hard to dye due to its natural stain-resistance. It generally comes in a range of neutral tones from soft greens to warm golden-tans.
Interested in using seagrass carpet for your flooring project? Contact the experts Floor Coverings International Shallotte today! We proudly serve the Shallotte, Ocean Isle Beach, Southport & St. James areas and will come out for a free on-site design consultation to help you find the perfect carpet!
Photo Credit: CJansuebsri
You might also be interested in: