Your animal companions spend a lot of time on the floor, so it’s important that your flooring suits the needs of both you and your pets. Fortunately, our expert team at Floor Coverings International Shallotte can help you discover the right floor for your Southport home based on your pets’ behavior. Here are some suggestions:
If your pets are noisy…
- Look for flooring options that help to absorb sound. Carpet is obviously the best for this, but if you are worried about cleaning up after your pets, you still have other options. Cork flooring does a good job of absorbing sound, as do linoleum and luxury vinyl.
- Steer away from rigid materials like hardwood, tile, and stone. These will cause sound to echo, and you will definitely hear the click of your pets’ claws on the floor.
If your pets shed a lot…
- Look for a smooth flooring material that is easy to sweep or vacuum. Fortunately, you have a wide selection of choices, including hardwood, laminate, luxury vinyl, tile and stone, and more. Cork is hypoallergenic, which may benefit those with allergies.
- Avoid carpet, which can harbor pet dander. If you have anyone with allergies or asthma in the home, a carpet full of pet hair will only make their sensitivities worse.
If you want your pets to be comfortable…
- If your pets’ comfort is your first priority, carpet is likely to be their favorite flooring surface since it is soft, cozy, and warm. However, cork, linoleum, and vinyl are also relatively comfortable options. If you decide to go with a more rigid material, like tile, you might consider installing under floor heating to make the space cozier for you and your pets.
- Rigid or slippery materials, such as tile, stone, and sometimes hardwood or laminate, will be less comfortable for your pets. They also may have difficulty getting traction on the smooth surface.
If your pets are prone to messes or accidents…
- If you anticipate liquid messes on your floor, be sure to choose a material that is durable, waterproof, and easy to clean. Tile is obviously a reliable choice, but luxury vinyl will also work well. Linoleum and cork will also resist liquids if properly sealed.
- Whatever you do, stay away from carpet. You’re bound to end up with stains or water damage and expensive cleaning costs. You may also want to avoid hardwood, which can be damaged by moisture.
To learn more about any of the flooring products mentioned, give us a call or visit our showroom! Floor Coverings International Shallotte proudly serves Shallotte, Ocean Isle Beach & Southport NC and beyond.
Photo Credit: Africa Studio