Carpet has been a popular flooring option for years, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s soft, insulating and affordable. When it’s time for new carpet in your Shallotte, Ocean Isle Beach & Southport NC area home, there are a number of things you have to make decisions about. One of the major items is your new carpet’s material. Today at Floor Coverings International Shallotte, we are going to compare two of the most popular carpet materials available: wool and nylon.
Wool was one of the first materials that was used for carpet hundreds of years ago. In many ways, there’s no reason to change from this original style!
- Wool carpet is extremely durable. It is elastic, so it won’t be permanently dented by heavy furniture, and it is very resilient so it will hold up well to high levels of traffic.
- Wool’s thick, tightly packed texture does a good job of hiding small particles of soil and debris.
- Its impressive stain-resistance means you won’t have to worry if a small spill occurs on your new carpet.
- Thick and lush, wool carpet offers an elegant look that many carpet materials lack.
- In terms of carpet cost, wool is one of the most expensive materials on the market.
- The carpet’s fibers can become distorted if they are exposed to excessive agitation from a pet or small child.
This synthetic carpet material is one of the most popular options available on the market today.
- You can find nylon carpets in virtually any color and design.
- The carpet’s impressive elasticity makes it resilient to heavy foot traffic or moving furniture.
- The material is quite resilient so like wool it will retain its shape even after being dented by heavy furniture.
- Nylon responds especially well to professional cleaning treatments.
- Like most synthetic materials, nylon will off-gas when it is first installed.
- Some types of nylon carpet may pill or be prone to static.
If it’s time for new carpeting in your Shallotte, Ocean Isle Beach & Southport NC area home, give us a call today! At Floor Coverings International Shallotte, we offer free in-home consultations and estimates.
Photo Credit: Iriana Shiyan